Own sawmill is one of the most popular business ideas due to the increase in the construction of private houses, summer cottages, gazebos, bathhouses and other wooden structures.
Therefore, entrepreneurs who like working with wood will be interested in this opportunity. The idea is suitable for those who understand lumber and are familiar with the basics of timber processing.
- Growing demand for wood products
- The ability to start with a small investment and a minimum of equipment
- Business with the prospect of development
- Good profit margins
- Sales of products in large quantities
- The presence of a seasonality factor
- Difficulty finding reliable suppliers
- Long payback with large investments
According to statistics, only 30% of entrepreneurs in this niche remain afloat and successfully develop. Our task is to enter here and gain a foothold among the lucky ones.
How to organize a profitable business at a sawmill
The sawmill is a workshop for processing wood on special machines. Starting a business is easy. The main thing is to draw up a competent plan with calculations and taking into account the characteristics of the activity.
The points of the plan will be: researching the market and competitors, determining the range and production volumes, solving organizational issues, evaluating profitability.
First of all, you need to register a business by purchasing a USN patent for wood processingif there is such an opportunity in your region. At the same time, the staff should not exceed 15 people. The option is good because after a year, in case of failure, the patent can not be renewed.
You can also register as an individual entrepreneur or a legal entity. For individual entrepreneurs, they fill out an application at the Tax Service with the provision of a passport, TIN, a receipt for paid state duty of 800 rubles.
For an LLC, they additionally develop a company charter, an authorized capital of at least 10 thousand rubles. and pay a fee of 4 thousand rubles. The taxation system for both options: USN with a deduction of 6% of total income or 15% of net profit.
Specified OKVED code: 20.1 , giving the right to legal sawing and planing of wood.
If you decide to rent a site for self-logging, you will need to obtain a permit. In the case of purchasing raw materials from a supplier, permission is not required.
Workshop space rental
It is necessary to find a suitable premises, sign a lease agreement and for the supply of raw materials, obtain the conclusion of the SES and the fire inspection , and also open a current account with the Bank.
It is advisable to rent a room on the outskirts of the city. For the workshop, a hangar or garage with an area of 100 square meters is suitable. m. and a ceiling height of 4-5 m. The territory of the sawmill is divided into several zones: an equipped working area, a warehouse for storing lumber, a place for drying products and a room for an office.
A power line with a capacity of 50 kW or more, access roads, communications, and ventilation should be connected to the premises. Mandatory availability of fire-fighting equipment, protective equipment and overalls, the organization of a smoking area outside the production area.
Demand and competition analysis
Lumber is one of the widely used building materials used in the construction of wooden buildings, their exterior and interior decoration. Demand is due to the interest in the construction of private investors and the shortage of available materials.
To assess the possibility of entering the industry and prospects, it is necessary to study the market, the number of competitors and their advantages, and decide on the concept. Before you open a sawmill, you should answer the following questions:
- Is this business relevant in your area?
- Is there a demand for lumber, processed wood
- How many sawmills are open, what products are produced
- Are raw materials available, are suppliers reliable?
- What distribution channels are there and how quickly can the product be sold
- How logistics is organized in the region
Only having received a clear picture of the state of affairs, they proceed to further actions.
Purchase of equipment
The list of equipment depends on the type of sawmill and the range of products. Based on this, the equipment of the workshop can be:
- band sawmill worth 150 thousand rubles, easy to maintain and practical. You should buy a machine that cuts round timber up to 1 meter in diameter with minimal waste. At first, you can limit yourself to only them, having bought the rest of the equipment later.
- Edge trimming machine for the production of lining used for interior and exterior decoration of premises, facades at a price of 100 thousand rubles.
- Frame or disk multi-saw machine for the manufacture of wooden bars, slats. The first option has greater productivity, but is more expensive – 500-900 thousand rubles. The price of a disk tool starts from 200 thousand rubles.
- A machine for sharpening saws worth 30 thousand rubles.
In addition, you will need a drying chamber and loading and unloading equipment. It is not necessary to buy new equipment, you can also buy used equipment in good condition.
Search for suppliers of raw materials (forests)
Raw materials for the sawmill are obtained in two ways:
- on their own clearing, buying out forest plots
- cooperating with producers of “round timber”
In the second option, it is important to find a reliable supplier in the nearest forest regions: Arkhangelsk, Vologda, Kirov regions, the Republics of Komi and Karelia, Perm and Krasnoyarsk Territories, and others.
When choosing a supplier, they start from the regularity and volume of deliveries, taking into account the weekly turnover of production, pay attention to the organization of logistics, the cost and quality of raw materials.
The type of wood will depend on the product range . The most common tree species are: spruce, pine, larch. Cheap lumber is obtained from pine and spruce. Oak, cedar and larch are of great value. The cost of raw materials is different and is determined by the territorial location. In forest-rich areas, prices are lower due to high competition.
The average price per cubic meter of raw wood is 2.5 thousand rubles.
To perform production functions, a staff of qualified employees of 10-15 people or less is required, starting from the volume of the sawmill:
- Workshop foreman
- Framer, machine operator
- Warehouse employee
- Sales Manager
- Room cleaner
Employees working with the production of lumber must undergo scheduled safety briefings , preventive medical examinations, and comply with labor protection requirements.
For them, it is recommended to establish piecework wages per cubic meter of products. Other employees can work on a fixed salary.
Search for sales markets, advertising and marketing
The main consumers of sawmill products include:
Private builders and firms acquiring lumber such as:
- Clear-edged, two-edged and four-edged timber
- Bars for cladding
- Dry and wet board
- Rafter trimmed and rounded log
Transport and logistics companies ordering:
- Wooden container
energy industries and cable manufacturers who buy:
Construction and furniture stores that sell:
- Door leaf
- window frames
- Furniture items
Individuals , individual customers who want to give the house originality with the help of:
- Carved shutters on windows, platbands
- Balusters on the porch
- Valances for the pediment
- Weathercocks, skates on the roof
- Garden decorations, gazebos
You should look for distribution channels in advance, at the stage of starting a business. You can work on pre-order or by releasing the most popular products.
In order for as many potential customers as possible to learn about your activities, you need to organize an advertising campaign using as promotion channels:
- own website with photos and descriptions of services, prices for finished products
- groups in social networks, Internet sites, thematic communities
- advertising in the media, bulletin boards
- placement of product catalogs, booklets in partner stores
- outdoor advertising in the form of banners, pillars near building supermarkets
- distribution of information leaflets, business cards in crowded places
- Saving at this stage of the business plan is not worth it, since the amount of profit received depends on its effectiveness.
How much to invest at the start
It should be noted that it is possible to start a business with an amount of 800 thousand rubles. up to 2 million rubles The level of costs will be affected by the amount of equipment, the size of the sawmill, the range of products. The main expenses will include:
- Capital investments in equipment and tools – 500 thousand rubles. and more
- Investments for the purchase of a batch of raw materials – from 500 thousand rubles. up to a million rubles
- The cost of renting and repairing the premises is 170 thousand rubles.
- Advertising expenses – 50 thousand rubles.
- Business registration and minor expenses – 30 thousand rubles.
Monthly expenses will be about 400 thousand rubles . for the purchase of consumables, payment of utility bills, taxes, wages to employees, and so on. As you can see, opening a sawmill is an expensive pleasure.
How much can you earn
But you can also get a decent profit, the value of which depends on the volume of the sawmill. With a productivity of a small workshop of 100 cubic meters of lumber per month at a price of 6 thousand rubles. for 1 cu. m. revenue will be 600 thousand rubles. of which 200 thousand rubles. net income per month.
Such an indicator will allow you to recoup the business in a year of work. By organizing practically waste-free production, cooperating not only with large enterprises, but also with individuals, you can increase income several times.
Possible business problems and risks
Despite the benefits, the business is exposed to many risks, including the risks of loss:
- Equipment failure resulting in downtime and loss of profit
- Damage to products during transportation
- Ignition of materials and raw materials
- Emergency situation on the road involving transport companies and others
Business insurance in state bodies will help compensate for the risks. A flexible pricing policy, high-quality products, and active promotion will help avoid problems associated with increased competition and lack of demand.
In conclusion, I would like to emphasize the need for a reasonable approach to planning and launching a business with an assessment of opportunities and shortcomings, financial calculations. The scale of the enterprise and the pace of development, as well as further prospects for work, will depend on the amount of capital investments and the format. If you doubt your abilities, start with a small band sawmill. After recouping the initial costs, expand production.